|Date Posted||March 14, 2020|
Deadline of this Job:
29 March 2020
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
VVOB - education for development, is a non-profit organization that focuses on improving the quality of education.
VVOB has its headquarters in Brussels (Belgium) and is currently implementing education programmes in ten partner countries.
More information about the work of WOB can be found on www.vvob.org .
VVOB became operational in Uganda in 2019.
From 1 June 2019, VVOB started implementing a new donor funded programme that focuses on improving the quality of Agricultural Education and Training in Uganda through strengthening the professional development of Uganda's Agricultural Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) instructors, and agricultural O-level teachers via pre-service training. This programme is implemented in partnership with the Department of Teacher and Instructor Education and Training (TIET); the Business, Technical, Vocational Education and Training (BTVET) Department of the Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES); the National Teachers Colleges (NTCs) of Mubende and Unyama, and the National Instructors' College Abilonino (NICA) in Kole District
WOB has two offices in Kampala and one in Gulu. All staff are expected to regularly travel between these offices and to the MOES, NTCs and NICA. WOB is currently hiring for the following positions (national staff): Senior Accountant
Duty Station: Kampala, with frequent travel to Gulu and partner institutions.
Start Date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly Salary Scale: From UGX 6,830,095 to 9,347,457 dependent on years of experience
Contract duration: until 31/12/2021, with possible extension The Senior Accountant reports to the management team and is part of VVOB's operations team. (s)He supervises the Finance, Administration and logistics officers, and works in close collaboration with the office administrative assistants in the framework of WOB's current and future programmes. As a finance expert, you are experienced in managing various donor funded programmes and shall hold delegated responsibility on all matters related to accounting for VVOB's programmes funded through various donors.
You are organized, proactive and take the initiative to implement a high quality accounting and financial management system at WOB's country offices in Kampala and Gulu. As a quality caretaker, you comply and ensure compliance with donor and Woe's internal financial guidelines. You protect the interests of the organization at all times, ensuring value for money. .
As such, the Senior Accountant is responsible for:
• Setting up and documenting VVOB Uganda's local financial procedures and systems as guided by the global financial handbook
• Supervising the finance & administration officers to ensure proper (timely, complete, correct) recording of financial transactions and update of the Navision accounting system.
• Ensuring timely collection of good quality supporting financial and procurement documentation according to the latest donor rules and financial guidelines
• Ensuring compliance with local regulatory authorities including the processing of tax and social security returns.
• Examining and analyzing financial records and preparing monthly/quarterly/annual financial documents such as reports, budgets, fund requests, tax returns and vendor, bank & cash reconciliations according to VVOB's financial and donor guidelines.
• Coordinating, preparing and supporting all financial audits (international, local and donor). Advising management team on financial performance and current development partner regulations.
• Supervision, development and coaching of finance and administration officers.
• You shall also develop the capacity of other staff and operational partners on financial procedures.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Profile Qualifications, Knowledge and experience:
• Master's degree in finance, accounting, management or equivalent through experience. Membership of an accredited accounting body e.g. ICPAU, ACCA.
• At least five years of relevant work experience in finance, accounting and double entry bookkeeping, three years of which must be with donor funded programmes.
• In depth understanding of financial management, accounting principles and practices including the analysis and reporting of financial data.
• Financial reporting experience and use of accounting software.
• IT skills and experience of streamlining and digitizing financial processes is desirable.
• Experience of working in a multicultural team is an asset.
• Team player, organized, prioritizes work, and ability to work under pressure.
• Language proficiency: excellent spoken and written English.
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please send your application by email only to Uganda@vvob.be . Your application should include:
• In the subject line: Application: name - position for which you apply • Motivation letter (PDF, attached).
• CV, including 3 reference persons and telephone and email contacts (former and current employers only) (PDF, attached).
• Salary expectations (PDF, attached).
Deadline for applications is Sunday, 29 March 2020. Shortlisted candidates are invited for a written test (home assignment), and selected candidates will be invited for Interview. Comprehensive reference checks will be made before a final offer.