|Date Posted||January 22, 2020|
Salary: UGX 111,328,239 gross annual and 8% housing allowance
Preffered Start date: 23 March 2020
Length of Contract: 1 year renewal depending on funding
VISA requirement: Ideally, you would have the right to work in Uganda but in some cases Restless Development will support applications for the relevant permit/VISA to work in
Reports to: Hub Director
Direct Reports: 3 Programme Managers, Fundraising & Partnerships Manager and a Monitoring, Evaluation
and Learning Manager
Expected travel: National travel will be required including to rural areas. Potential for International travel
About Restless Development:
We know young people have the power to solve the challenges we face in our world, but they are being ignored and overlooked. We are the agency that works with young people so they can lead in solving those challenges. Whether that means supporting communities to end child marriage or prevent HIV, we work with young people to change their lives and the lives of people in their communities.
Our Approach to Safeguarding
Restless Development considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults to be an
organizational imperative with primacy over the success of programmes or strategic objectives. We recognize that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and we expect all of our staff, volunteers and partners to ensure we protect the communities in which we operate from harm and abide by our Safeguarding Policy.
Building on 20 years of experience working with young people in Uganda, Restless Development Uganda puts youth leadership at the centre of integrated and holistic programmes addressing issues identified by young people and communities. Over the past 3 years, we have reached more than 75,000 young people. We are currently present in 26 districts in Northern, North-Eastern, Central, and Eastern regions of the country. We have 68 staff members across our 3 offices (Kampala, Jinja, and Moroto) and placed with members in other districts. Currently we have 350 active young leaders (peer educators, advocates, and researchers) implementing our work on the ground and
an alumni network of more than 1,200.
Restless Development Uganda works with young people to ensure access for all to decent jobs and essential public services, for a productive and dignified life. We use evidence generated by young people to influence decision making spaces to solve the biggest challenges we all face.
Our Hub has specific expertise in delivering youth-led research to inform key stakeholders and influence decisions on the issues that matter to the young people we reach.
Restless Development Uganda seeks to recruit a dynamic, inspired and innovative leader to be our Head of Programmes and Partnerships. This role leads all of our work connected to programming including context analysis, programme design, resource mobilisation, evaluations and learning as well as engagement with key strategic partners such as Government, donors and other actors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the large Programmes & Partnership Unit, ensuring Managers deliver their areas of work to a high standard – Programme Management, Evaluations & Learning and Business Development
- Ensure linkages and learning across the Programmes & Partnerships Unit and which are shared with the Leadership team to support decision making
- Be an effective member of the Senior Leadership team working with Head of Restless Development Uganda and Hub Director as well as the Uganda Leadership team of Senior Managers and Managers
Partnership and Resource Mobilization (40%)
- Build strategic partnerships with Local and National Government, Bilateral donors, Trusts and
- Foundations, Corporates and Private sector to support Restless Development Uganda’s strategy
- Connect, learn and share with Youth focused organizations to understand the challenges and successes of the Youth Sector in Uganda
- Work with the Fundraising & Partnerships Manager to
- develop and deliver a Business Development strategy including long term cultivation plans forcurrent and potential donors and partners
- ensure high quality proposals are submitted to donors that follow Restless Development’sbusiness principles and model
Design and oversee implementation of programmes (20%)
- Develop programme designs based Restless Development Programme Quality Framework, using evidence and learning from previous programmes as well as an understanding of the Ugandan context
- Ensure strategic input into inception workshops to support the translation of successful proposals into effective work plans, ensuring deliverables, including outputs, outcomes, impact and learning, are delivered
in line with proposals
- Support the Programme Managers to deliver their Programmes in line with proposals and Restless Development Programme Quality Framework and to ensure the programmes are continually learning and adapting their approaches
- Lead the Annual Programme review and planning process to ensure impactful programmes
- Integrate Dynamic Accountability and Gender transformation into all programme work plans
Oversight of Evaluations and Learning (20%)
- Ensure learnings from using the Restless Model are shared externally
- Use the learnings from current and past programmes to contribute to programme design and adaptive programming
- Oversight of the evaluation process and generation of learning for all programmes in the Hub and ensure cross-Hub sharing and learning
We are looking for people with the right competencies and skills for the role, and who demonstrate the personal qualities consistent with our Values.
Competency: What we expect of the Head of Programmes and Partnerships
- Shapes long-term organisational strategy
- Develops and influences external strategic partners to position us as leaders and experts of youth development
Innovation an adaptability
- Fosters a climate of innovation and continuous improvement
- Takes risks, embraces change & aligns organisational vision in a changing world
- Creates new opportunities and scales up innovation for greater impact
- Links strategy to a series of clearly actionable initiatives, taking into account the impact on all parts of the organization
Leadership and management
- Develops and supports leadership throughout the Hub
- Creates a culture of continuous growth, role modelling the development of others and ensuring Performance Management is delivered at all levels
- Sought for advice by managees, peers and leaders and resolves managerial conflict,
- Distils strategy into concise practical messages
- Influences decision makers and represents the organisation in formal settings
- Establishes a culture of trust and integrity and continually challenges organisations’
- managers to enhance their talent management practices
- Maintains and ensures a clear direction for the organisation with highly focused priorities and outcomes.
- Drives a performance culture across the organisation giving teams space and authority to deliver objectives whilst, resolutely holding them accountable for outcomes.
- Enables the organisation to remain focussed on core priorities irrespective of external challenges.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Graduate level degree in relevant field of study, or equivalent work experience
- Proven leader with at least three years’ management experience in programme design and development, partnerships and strategic leadership
- At least 5 years of experience in the development sector, NGO experience preferred.
- Understanding of the Programme cycle, MEL systems and use of data and evidence for learning and development in design processes.
- Experience in institutional partnership building and development, relationship management, fundraising and consortium experience
- Experience of distance management
- Knowledge of relevant national and international strategies and frameworks in the areas of youth empowerment, sexual reproductive health, HIV and AIDS, livelihoods and other poverty related global
development priorities preferred.
- Excellent written and fluent English
- Excellent IT, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
Restless Development is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourages people from diverse
We are proud to commit to a transparent global salary scale, ensuring a fair and comparable system of pay across all global locations.
At Restless Development, we’re proud that the strength and integrity of our Values has been recognized by staff,
beneficiaries, donors and others who we work with. Beyond this, we have a culture of recognizing and celebrating both our Values and our global achievements with monthly Values Champions and an annual Values Day.
It goes without saying that we work hard, at Restless Development. We also recognize the importance of helping staff to maintain a positive work-life balance by offering:
- 24 days annual leave (in addition to public holidays and with an extra day of annual leave given for each full year of service, up to a maximum of 28 days).
- Birthday Leave
- Flexible working hours.
- Generous study leave, maternity, paternity or adoption leave, and other leave allowances.
Restless Development is proud to be an employer who recognizes potential and invests in the development of its staff. We are committed to the professional development of our staff through:
- Empowering opportunities to work on significant projects which stretch and inspire staff – allowing them to develop on-the-job.
- Regular performance management.
- Training and development opportunities, including supporting our staff to identify mentors both within and outside of the agency.
- Quarterly Staff Workshops for all staff to give and receive agency updates, receive training, and socialize.
All interested and qualified candidates Please send a completed application form to email@example.com
. Please note that we do not accept CVs, resumes or coverletters.
Please note that Restless Development does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees).