|Date Posted||January 22, 2020|
Supervise the Legal and Admin departments and support the corporate services function by providing researched legal advice,
- Minimum Qualification: Postgrad
- Experience Level: Management level
- Experience Length: 7 years
Job Title : Head Legal and Administration
Reports to : Company Secretary
Purpose : Supervise the Legal and Admin departments and support the corporate services function by providing researched legal advice, preparing,reviewing legal and Board documents, managing e Company fixed assets and representing the Company in legal matters in accordance with the law (statutory requirements/provisions), and Company policies and procedures.
Key Result Areas:
- Provide Company with appropriate researched legal advice and/or prepare appropriate communications/documents/agreements e.t.c for or on behalf of the company in response to such enquiries in liaison with the Company Secretary and relevant legal tools.
- Assist the Company Secretary in preparing Board papers, and organizing meetings of Board of Directors, Board Committees and Shareholders. Prepare reports in/for compliance with the Companies Act, and at the instance of the Directors.
- Liaise with and manage the relationship between Company and its external legal lawyers; namely; prepare pre-litigation case files, assembling evidence, procuring the attendance of witnesses and monitoring the progress of litigation in courts in line with guiding statutory provisions.
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements of Insurance Regulatory Authority, Uganda Securities Exchange and Labor Laws in line with applicable laws governing such requirements/provisions.
- Supervise and manage the performance and development of subordinate officers in both Administration and Legal departments in line with Company’s performance goals, objectives, policies and regulations.
- If requested, to chair any internal Management or administrative committee assigned by Management and provide legal advice to the Committees in compliance with all applicable laws, standards and Company regulations and make specific reports.
- Coordinate the valuation of Company properties, maintain an up to date inventory of Fixed assets classified by type, usage, location, and initiate periodic checks of all Company’s assets to confirm their existence, condition and accuracy in line with the Company asset and property management policies and procedures.
- Handle legal matters including disciplinary disputes, legal suits, in-house schemes and benefits, tenancy agreements, instructions to designated external Advocates as well as represent the Company in suits for and against the Company, regularly review the progress and performance of such cases in liaison with external Lawyers and in accordance with the existing MOUs and the law.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Company Secretary.
- A candidate for this position must have had at least 7 years’ experience working in a corporate legal capacity within a fast-paced, fast-evolving and dynamic environment, preferably working as a Senior Lawyer.
- A Candidate must be an Attorney at Law with at least five (5) years post-qualification experience in handling Legal matters as a practicing attorney at law or corporate environment.
- Technical Understanding of the Company’s business and operations and attention to details.
- Excellent Interpersonal Communication at all levels (verbal and written)
- Problem Solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with high levels of responsibility and with confidential matters.
- Ability to work well within the Team.
- A high level of professionalism which is required on the job at all times
- Computer Literacy
Applications and CVS together with academic qualifications should be sent to email@example.com